Although scuba diving is a very safe activity, there remains always a risk factor. This because while diving your body is exposed to high pressures and you will breathe in air or a gas mixture under higher pressures. A proper dive insurance coverage is therefore very important.
Most dive schools on Koh Tao let you complete a medical questionnaire, which is written in English. This is not the case at Impian Divers, all documents are in your language and we provide a very specific and clear explanation about any risks during your diving activities.
We never take unnecessary risks such as going night diving in bad weather, despite this decision is not always appreciated
All our dive staff are Medical Trained, Oxygen & AED provider instructors, with extensive knowledge about correctly assessing (emergency) situations. However, we are not allowed to deviate from the medical advice of any doctor.
During a diving training you are insured under specific conditions for diving-related accidents, which are specific.
- Decompression sickness and/or
- Lung injury
- Obliged to follow all instructions and advice from executives throughout diving activity.
- Mandatory to follow all instructions and advice from executives on board.
- Valid Fit-to-Dive medical certificate before start of diving activity signed by a general practitioner or sports doctor.
- or fill in on the spot and get permission from local Thai physician.
- Personal responsibility to stay medically fit during the diving activity.
- Only visit the Thai Inter clinic in Mae Haad if necessary, after physical complaints after diving, and the diving school is already closed.
Thai Inter kliniek Mae Haad
Thai Inter clinic Mae Haad is working closely with re-compression chamber staff from Sub-Aqautic Safety Service on Koh Samui for 1st diagnosis and decompression related neurological testing.
This is the only Koh Tao clinic where claim insurance will be in effect. At all other Koh Tao clinics there is no insurance policy, nor are re-compression room staff allowed, with the following drawbacks:
- unnecessary evacuation to an (expensive) Koh Samui hospital
- unnecessary long hospitalization
- delayed re-compression treatment
- unnecessary high expenses
Fit-to-dive statement on Koh Tao
Doctor’s visit for statement Fit-to-Dive is possible from 09:00 and an Impian staff member will guide you getting there. Take into account the departure time boat for afternoon dive. Cost: 200 Thai baht
Medical staff on Koh Tao speak good English and a visit / doctor approval for a Fit-to-Dive can usually be arranged within 15-20 min.
NO medical statement means NO participation in any dive activity at Impian Divers
Dive Insurance Details
Firstly, Impian Divers firstly affiliated with the SSS Hyperbaric Chamber Network Samui, the closest re-compression chamber for additional assistance if required.
The SSS-24 staff on Koh Tao only works closely with the Thai Inter clinic on Koh Tao.
Fun divers are insured through our Thai dive insurance, but only if you do not have diving insurance yourself. Advice: Get a dive insurance with: www.daneurope.org
If you opt as an European for a I.D.D training course, you are insured during the course via I.D.D Netherlands for diving-related accidents: decompression illness and / or lung accidents, under the following conditions:
- Own risk of 6,000 THB
- Medical costs paid by yourself
- IDD Nederland will reimburse costs in consultation,
- Impian Divers will always provide you with support.
- Maximum coverage: 50,000 Euro
If you choose a PADI course you are insured through the Thai dive insurance, under the following conditions:
- Own risk of 6,000 THB
- Maximum coverage: 200,000 THB
PADI itself does not offer any dive insurance.
No Dive Insurance Coverage
If you do not follow one of our conditions, or if you do something wrong during your diving course / activity, you are no longer insured through the diving school. All costs for treatments will then have to be arranged through your own travel insurance or Dutch health insurance.
Main causes for problems during diving
- Medicine use
- Insufficient drinking water
- Drinking too much alcohol
- Not enough sleep
- Long journey behind us
- Low or high blood pressure
All this can quickly lead to dehydration symptoms, which does not go well with scuba diving.
If you do not feel well during the diving course, you can always wait a day. However, before you can restart the course you will need a new Fit-to-Dive statement from the local doctor. We recommend to eat regularly something salty and drink extra water during your trip, diving course and stay on Koh Tao.
With the following medical history and indications you cannot get a Fit-to-Dive certificate on Koh Tao.
- History of: Epilepsy within 5 years
- Collapsed lung
- Decompression sickness
- Exercise- and severe asthma
For this you need an examination by a sports doctor, something which you can better arrange at home before you book a diving course somewhere.
Flying after diving
12 hours after 1 dive, and 24 hours after multiple dives. However Impian Divers advises:
- 24 hours no national flight
- 48 hours no international flight
This advice comes from Dive Accident Statistics Analysis Netherlands (DOSA) in close collaboration with KLM and Divers Alert Network Europe.